Researchers in Australia just finished a six-year study that involved more than 230,000 people over the age of 45. And they found there are six main things that put you at risk for an early death.
1. Smoking. People who smoked had a 94% higher mortality rate. Meaning you’re 94% more likely to die early.
2. Not getting enough exercise, 72%
3. Sitting for more than seven hours a day. You’re 33% more likely to die early. And that’s even if you exercise.
4. Sleeping more than nine hours a night. It increases your chance of dying by 31%. People who slept LESS than seven hours only increased their chance of dying early by 9%.
5. Poor diet. It increased people’s chances of dying by 11%. But it goes up to 21% if you eat like crap AND drink too much.
6. Drinking too much. It increases your chances of dying by 8%. But if you drink a lot AND smoke, it’s 180%.
People who did all six were over five times more likely to die over the course of the study than people who didn’t do any of them.